I failed to pay my federal restitution can I go back to prison? I am $3000.00 behind in my payments this is about 9 months.

Asked over 5 years ago - Norman, OK

I failed to meet my obligations as appoined by the court to pay my federal restitution due to loss of a job and possible forclosure on my home. I chose to pay other bills and was told today by the US attorneys office that I had to appear in court on April 15 for an assett hearing. I have nothing it is all in my husbands name and I cannot get a decent job due to the fact that I am a convicted felon. I did not realize that I was committing a crime by not paying this restitution. I served 4 months in federal prison 8 years ago and am scared to go back. The term used was willful non-payment of a debt. It was feed my famly or the bill and I chose my children. The Attorneys office stated I

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . The court will make a determination as to whether or not you have the ability to pay. If you do not it would surprise me if you were sent back to prison.