I failed to make a the ordered payment for a USE AND OCCUPANCY. Can the landlord file a motion to say am in contempt of court?

Chicago, IL |

And ask for judgement and possession? Does he have a case and can this judgement be possibly entered?

If the court awarded use and occupation to the landlord and you failed to pay per the court’s order, then the landlord may seek sanctions, one of which is the entry of a judgment in favor of the landlord for possession, without a trial.

Dear Tenant: If you violated a court order because you did not have the money, the court cannot sanction you. If you violated the court order for other reasons, the court can sanction you. However, there is a case which holds that the sanction cannot be entry of judgment for possession.

Hope this helps. Good luck

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The post is only an opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in IL. Please visit www.davismcgrath.com for more information about our services. If this post is useful to you, please remember to vote it up. Thank you.

I agree with my colleagues.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Landlord-tenant topics