I failed to make a the ordered payment for a USE AND OCCUPANCY. Can the landlord file a motion to say am in contempt of court?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

And ask for judgement and possession? Does he have a case and can this judgement be possibly entered?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Emmet Forkan

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the court awarded use and occupation to the landlord and you failed to pay per the court’s order, then the landlord may seek sanctions, one of which is the entry of a judgment in favor of the landlord for possession, without a trial.

  2. Gini S. Marziani

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Dear Tenant: If you violated a court order because you did not have the money, the court cannot sanction you. If you violated the court order for other reasons, the court can sanction you. However, there is a case which holds that the sanction cannot be entry of judgment for possession.

    Hope this helps. Good luck

    This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The post is only an... more
  3. Rostyslav Saciuk

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,975 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,975 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering