Skip to main content

I experienced fraud as a patient. Is there anywhere I can take a smaller qui tam claim to start an investigation?

Norwalk, CA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was at a county hospital catering to the indigent. My doctors knew I wasn't working. One even asked how much money I had. While I'd first been told my situation should be outpatient, a few days later my status was changed to prolong my stay even further. I'd been told this was fraud, but I don't have inside knowledge of it regularly occurring so I'm not getting anywhere with it. Since my assigned doctor was the head of the department, I feel if it were looked into there'd be a history of abuse in this department. I've reported it to the Medicaid fraud line.

I was taken on an involuntary 72 hour psychiatric hold 5150, due to erroneous statements. While I had been told I shouldn't be there, it dragged on. What should've been the final day (without discussion), I was handed a piece of paper stating my team of doctors and social worker changed my status to gravely disabled. It would've gone 14 days longer, then to court. I was released only since I had a family member negotiate for it. i have looked up the legal definitions of these statuses, I am neither. I'm beyond the statute of limitation as this occurred 6 years ago. In cases of fraud is the statute extended? It's close, but hasn't reached the full 6 years on a qui tam statute of limitation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have any factual basis for suspecting fraud, you have not stated any such information here. Accordingly, no one here can offer any reliable insight or suggestions other than that you should consult with a local civil rights or malpractice litigator.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


What was the fraud?

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer