Skip to main content

I entered the US legally on a B1/B2 Visa..... then, I applied for asylum.

Tujunga, CA |
Filed under: Political asylum

I went to asylum interview - it was rescheduled because my interpreter was not qualified, according to the officer. I have no date as of yet. My B1/B2 will expire. Can I file to change status to an F-1 so I can study while I wait for my asylum interview date?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This question has been previously asked and answered. Click the link below:

  2. Probably not since obviously, you do not intend to return to your country.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. F-1 status presumes you will return back to your home country. Asylum applicant basically states that under no condition will he/she return home.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics