I entered in the US with a fiancee visa but unfortunately my fiancee didnt marry me. And now i am married to a US citizen.

Long Beach, CA |
Filed under: Immigrant visas

Can he petition me?

Your husband can file an I-130 visa petition on your behalf BUT you are NOT eliigble to apply for adjustment of status. You must leave the U.S. and apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate in order to return to the U.S. You MUST make sure that you do not stay in the U.S. for more than 180 days past the expiration of your fiance (K) status.

I overstayed for 3 years now. ShoulD i rEally need to go back to my country and or can i have assurance that they gonna allow me to come back here and be with my husband and my kid?

I dont have intention to overstayed but i have no choice coz i only had plane ticket going here and i dont have any family here in the US.

Christian Schmidt

Christian Schmidt

You cannot obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. and will be barred for 10 years from receiving an immigrant visa unless you qualify for a waiver of the bar.

How can i be qualified to a waiver of the bar?

No if you want to adjust your status in the United States. Only the original K-1 petitioner could file on your behalf. Now, if you go back to your country your current husband will be able to petition for you and you will be able to consular process. Be aware that you may have some inadmissibility issues when you leave. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to further review your case in detail.
Sent on the SprintĀ® Now Network from my BlackBerry

Thank u so much for your help..i really appreciate it.

He can petition you, but you cannot adjust status.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Your husband can file a petition for you to consular process, but you are ineligible to adjust your status in the United States. An alien who enters with a K visa can only adjust status based upon the relationship which predicated issuance of the visa.

Depending upon how long you have been in the U.S. unlawfully there can be significant consequences if you travel abroad to obtain your immigrant visa. You and your husband need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and provide you with specific advice and recommendations.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.