Skip to main content

I entered illegally six years ago, and now want a green card what do i do

Salem, OR |

always worked, never in trouble

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depending on your age, you might qualify for Deferred Action. However, deferred action would only grant you work authorization for two years and would not give you lawful status in the U.S. If you have a spouse who is a US citizen, then your spouse could be the petitioner for an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. However, you run the risk of having to go through consular processing and potentially be barred from reentering the U.S. if any issues arise. You should consult with an immigration attorney to see what other options may be available to you. Other facts must be determined in order to fully analyze your situation.

This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


An unlawful entrant who has accumulated more than one year of unlawful presence is not eligible for permanent residency absent RARE circumstances (Cuban, cancellation of removal, etc.). Marrying a US citizen may get you there, but not without having to leave the United States for a period of time.

You should meet privately with an immigration attorney to discuss your situation.

THIS ANSWER IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Immigration is complicated and the wrong action can have serious consequences. Never take action in your case based solely on general information like is offered here. Speak to an attorney who can give you specific advice about your own situation.


Depending on where you are from you may have certain options, however, you need to contact an experienced immigration attorney to explore those options. This site is never a good place to completely depend on when making important life altering decision about your status.

The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer