I entered and received a Alford plea on a felony does that mean im convicted felon now

Council Bluffs, IA |

I took a Alford plea on a breaking entering charge recv 2 years probation

1. An Alford plea has the same legal consequences as a "straight plea" if the judge accepts the plea and finds there was a factual basis for the plea (usually a police report summarizing the allegations). If Breaking and Entering is a felony in IA, you are a felon but you should check out your sentencing paperwork or ask your lawyer to explain your sentence conditions to you. You don't want to do something that breaks your probation.

2. Yes. The Alford Plea does not admit guilt, but admits there is sufficient evidence, which if not contested, would allow a reasonable fact finder to find you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If you were sentenced following an Alford Plea, and it appears you were, then the judgment and sentence is final and you will have a felony conviction on your permanent adult criminal record.

3. Alford plea means you have a conviction, I hope your attorney explained this to you at the time of your plea. Best of luck.