I drove a drunk friend home in his car at his request. Bumper was slightly damaged and I paid for repairs. Do I owe a new one?

Chino, CA |

A friend drank too much and asked me to drive his car home as I was not drunk. I parked and scraped the bottom of his fender and upon backing out of the spot, the edges of the fender got pulled out. I popped them back in and I told him I'd pay for the repair which I did outside of our insurance companies. It was for a new fender lining and repair to a tab and clip inside the outer edge of the original fender's passenger side. He was happy with the repairs until a couple months later when he hit a piece of tire on the freeway and his bumper, grill, and logo were damaged. The bumper no longer fits properly on either side on the car and a gap can be seen under the head lights. Fast forward to 6 months later and he now wants me to pay to have the fender replaced. Am I responsible?

You are responsible only for the damage that was caused when you were driving and not for any damage caused by a subsequent accident. The best practice is to get a release from a person when you settle a claim, but I understand that this was between friends.

2. You are not responsible for subsequent damage to the bumper.

3. No. The damage that you caused is too attenuated to the damage caused by the tire on the freeway. If he presses the issue, turn it over to your insurance.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. "No good deed goes unpunished."

- Paul

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

5. I don't see how you would be responsible for this new problem. You restored his car to its condition before you damaged it. Once that occurred, it was his to drive again and if he wrecks it, it is his responsibility, not yours. If he pushes the matter, turn the claim over to your automobile liability insurance carrier, which is what you probably should have done in the first place.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.