Skip to main content

I drive 45 minutes to and from work everyday, if i save my gas reciepts am i able to write that off on my taxes?

Nevada, MO |
Attorney answers 3


Tax advice is a real problem. Talk to you accountant for advice on this. Let me simply say I am not aware of any provision in the Internal Revenue Code which makes commuting expenses deductible.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. Follow my answers to other questions on Twitter @LandLawyer James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600


Not according to my business accountant. Travel from your normal place of employment to a different location is deductible. However, travel from home to your normal place of employment is NOT deductible.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


commuting expenses are not deductible, but if this is a temporary place of employment, then circumstances could be different

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer