Skip to main content

I dont know what to do about a back injury i sustained after a slip and fall injury at a local supermarket.

Wilmington, CA |

i hurt my back after falling at a local supermarket i was sent to a doctor and chiropractor and received treatment for my injuries, i need help as soon as possible as the time left to reopen or refile the case is coming up very very soon. i need help and i need help fast very fast... i am lost and dont know what to do or how to go about doing it... can anyone help me ??? please

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Use Find a Lawyer tab TODAY in your city to get a lawyer.

  2. There is a two year statute of limitations on personal injury claims like slip and fall accidents. You should retain an attorney immediately.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

  3. Slip and fall, or premises liability cases, can be very traumatic. You've done the right thing by seeking medical treatment for your injuries. However, more information needs to be known in order to assist you. How long ago did your accident occur? Did you take pictures of the area where you slipped? Was there a spill or hazard that caused you to fall? Did you make a report with the supermarket? There is a lot that needs to be done to properly handle your case, and an attorney can help you do it the right way. We may need to collect evidence, interview witnesses, investigate prior complaints against the storeowners, and hire safety experts for site inspection. Feel free to contact me to help you with anything else. Don't idle for too long, or you may lose the opportunity to be compensated.

    The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising.

  4. Your question does not indicate if this was a work related injury or a customer slip and fall personal injury case. Workers Comp cases can usually be reopened but personal injuries cases generally cannot be reopened after settlement. If you were a customer who fell in the store you will have a limited time to settle or file suit and you should retain an attorney immediately. The California statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. An attorney can handle everything for you on a contingency fee, there will be no upfront costs to you.

  5. What you do is call one of the above lawyers in your state who answered to investigate.

  6. Re: "...the time left to reopen or refile the case is coming up very very soon." What is that "re-open" and "re-file" about? have you previously filed a claim for this injury? Have you previously accepted a settlement?

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

  7. sounds like you retained an attorney who referred you to a chiropractor, then the attorney dropped the case. You should pick up your file and immediately search for a new attorney. The time limit to file is typically two years from the date of the incident. There are some exceptions, but they most likely do not apply in your case. Your other option is to file a small claims lawsuit within the time limit. But slip and fall cases are extremely difficult. You must prove the store knew or should have known through the course of reasonable inspections (usually every 45-60 minutes) that a dangerous condition existed prior to your fall.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics