I don't want my child's father to have rights. If I don't live in GA and the father does can he still legitimize my child?

Chattanooga, TN |

I've had a turbulent relationship with my childs father for the past three years. He has seen my child but does not provide financially. He recently tried to kill me by suffocating me in front of my children, I've pressed charges and he has been officially charged with Simple Battery and I'm trying to get the judge to charge him with Cruelty to Children for doing that in front of my children. I've recently pulled up his criminal background and its pages and pages long. Most recently back in 2010 he was convicted of Simple Battery, Cruelty to Children, Disorderly Conduct, and False Imprisonment of his previous girlfriend. With all of that I don't want to have contact with him. Can he still try to get rights to my child if I don't live in GA?

1. He can try, however the domestic violence history and the fact that you're both states apart will cut against him. Consult a lawyer about buffering your case against him getting rights.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.