I don't know how to refute a baseless argument that the Personal Representative of my Mother's Estate is alleging.

Asked 8 months ago - Columbia, SC

My Mother's Estate consists of a beach house. The PR of the Estate is attempting to bill me for usage of this beach house. The PR is attempting to introduce electricity bills in order to prove that someone must have been occupying this beach house. The PR's theory is that an electric bill above an amount of $100. proves that someone was occupying the beach house. The PR further contends that I must be the one who was using the beach house because I was working in the area. The PR has no other evidence.

1. Michael S. Haber

Pro

6

Answered . Stand your ground. If it was not, in fact, you who were using the property and thus incurring perhaps a small expense for electricity usage, say so. The executor will probably ultimately consider whether to deduct the electricity cost from your share of the estate, but it is quite unlikely that, in the face of opposition from you that he or she will actually do so, because, in the end, the battle involved may cost the estate more than the sum at issue. If you wish to be proactive, you can hire an attorney.

Good luck to you.

2. Donald Joseph Quinn II

1

Best Answer

Answered . By calling the allegation "baseless" I assume you didn't stay at the house. In any event, to protect yourself you need to retain counsel. Good luck.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Attorney Haber has given you wise counsel.
    Either defend yourself or admit your using the property.