I don't have money and I need a lawyer to get my kids back from my drunk gambleholic wife

Asked about 1 year ago - Purcellville, VA

My wife had been a gambleholic for the passed 10 years and the passed 2 years she had been drinking almost every night and because she had a bankruptcy few years ago that whipped out all of her gambling dept and she had no way of getting and credit cards so she used my social security number to applied for loans and credit cards for her gambling habits and now I'm in debt for over 100k 'I was a stay at home dad on and off for about 9 years and don't have money for a lawyer ,I try legal aid in Virginia and they could not help me because they said I didn't have a court case and the marriage is contested,what do I do I need help to get my 3 kids back ,she try to put a restringing order on me but I went to court and won and the restringing order was lifted where do I to for help?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kevin Reese Pettrey

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to seek pro bono representation. Contact the local bar association and they may have local attorneys who take pro bono cases.

    Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so... more
  2. Lee Alan Thompson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Isn't this more of a divorce/custody question?

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful"... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,748 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,748 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering