I don't have insurance, Can I be recompensed for injuries, damages done to my vehicle in an accident that I was not liable for?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was part of a pile up on the freeway, vehicles hit me but I didn't hit any.

1. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

6

Answered . Yes, you are entitled to recover for your medical treatment expenses. Your personal property loss (i.e. your car and other personal property) and your out of pocket costs. You are not entitled to Pain and suffering because of Prop 103 which precludes uninsured drivers from recovery of non-economic damages. However, if the driver that caused the accident was driving under the influence and is convicted of DUI, then you may be entitled to ask for punitive damages. Best of luck.

PODRE SER RECOMPENSADO POR LESIONES PERSONALES , DAŇOS Y PERJUICIOS CAUSADOS POR UN ACCIDENTE EN EL CUAL YO NO FUI EL CAUSANTE?
    Si, Ud. puede recobrar todos sus gastos y costos médicos. También puede recobrar por sus bienes personales ( SU carro y otros bienes de uso personal) y gastos de su bolsillo. Ud. no podrá recobrar por su sufrimiento y dolor debido a que la Proposición No. 103 no permite recobro por daños no-económicos. Sin embargo si su accidente fue causado por un chofer enebriado y éste es encontrado culpable de manejar en ese estado, entonces UD. podrá recobrar por daños punitivos. Buena suerte.

Pro

5

Answered . Essentially everything but pain & suffering.

3. Lisa Marie Blasser

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that you can claim property damage and seek recovery of your past and future medical bills and wages, but wanted to define "noneconomic damages" and "pain and suffering" so you know the difference between the damages mentioned. Generally, non-economic damages are damages that are not quantified by bills, records or tangible documents. Pain and suffering is a type of noneconomic damage that is commonly used in personal injury cases (auto accidents) to compensate an injured party for the physical and emotional distress that was caused by a negligent party. I always explain pain and suffering as your claim for all of the stress that you had to undergo as a result of this (accident, etc.). Just wanted to clarify this for you (even though you are precluded from claiming pain and suffering) so you can get a better gauge of what it is you are actually entitled to recover. Best of luck to you.