I do pre surgical psych. assessments for people who need spinal cord stimulators.

Asked over 2 years ago - Morristown, TN

I am able to get these assessments done for referring providers in a timely manner, and from what I hear this is uncommon. Do I need some sort of copyright on my process? Thanks,
JE Jones, LCSW

1. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

3

Best Answer

Answered . Generally only ideas or concepts reduced to a tangible form, i.e., written down are subject to copyright. Whether the process could be patented or not would be another question, and I defer to patent counsel on that matter.

Ideas sadly are not protectable other than with non disclosure agreements. You may use your technique as a trade secret and keep it secret, though that provides no protection if someone else starts using it.

2. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . Copyright is normally for aritistic creation. You apparently have a novel process which may qualify for a patent. Being efficient is not a novel process, but if you have the process or device you should consult a patent counsel in your area.

3. Bryant Keith Martin

2

Answered . Copyright won’t help. That just keeps people from copying the words or picture but not from using the intellectual content. You need a patent to do that which is expensive and may not be available for your process. You should consult with a patent lawyer.