I do pre surgical psych. assessments for people who need spinal cord stimulators.

Morristown, TN |
Filed under: Patents Business

I am able to get these assessments done for referring providers in a timely manner, and from what I hear this is uncommon. Do I need some sort of copyright on my process? Thanks,
JE Jones, LCSW

Generally only ideas or concepts reduced to a tangible form, i.e., written down are subject to copyright. Whether the process could be patented or not would be another question, and I defer to patent counsel on that matter.

Ideas sadly are not protectable other than with non disclosure agreements. You may use your technique as a trade secret and keep it secret, though that provides no protection if someone else starts using it.

2. Copyright is normally for aritistic creation. You apparently have a novel process which may qualify for a patent. Being efficient is not a novel process, but if you have the process or device you should consult a patent counsel in your area.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. Copyright won’t help. That just keeps people from copying the words or picture but not from using the intellectual content. You need a patent to do that which is expensive and may not be available for your process. You should consult with a patent lawyer.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

Business topics