I do not have a job to afford to pay my probation fees how long will i stay in jail if i tell my P.O i cant pay them.

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Ive done most of my community service, i only owe $750 and im on probation for a year.

1. Scott Douglas Marquardt

Answered . Talk to your PO. The fact that you have done you community service with over a year left to go puts you ahead of the curve. The court has payment plans to complete your probation fees. It is rare for a judge to revoke based on not having the ability to pay. Also, it may be possible for you to file a motion to be released from probation early. Good luck.

2. Ben M. Sifuentes Jr.

Answered . If you are unable to pay your fees, you must make sure you obey all your other conditions of probation. If you truly are unable to pay fees, then no court would revoke your probation on that basis alone. I have seen judges revoke probation when a person, out of fear that they cannot pay fees, fails to report for probation and the failure to report is the violation that results in revocation.

While I am unaware of whether you have any money at all, if you pay a dollar or more (rather than nothing) and tell the probation that is the most you can pay, you would be surprised that doing so goes a long way in the probation officer working with you.

I would also suggest that you tell the probation officer that you want job counseling and show the probation officer the efforts you are making in your job search, that you have signed up with TWC and have placed applications.

No lawyer can predict a result or guarantee a result.
  3. John Leif Fossum

Answered . You should talk to your probation officer to see if there is any alternative to cash. Sometimes you can do more community service, or work crew to pay off a fine.

4. Richard Joseph Albanese

Answered . Check with a local attorney but generally speaking fees can be waived if you prve financial hardship or make some small payments showing good faith. I dont see you being incarcerated for fees on a criminal case. Most judges dont favor "debtors prison".