I do not have a family trust. Can I designate my daughter and son as beneficiaries of my assets in the event of my death?

Asked about 2 years ago - Carlsbad, CA

Can I do this with a hand written will?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you can. However, I would avoid drafting a "holographic will" simply because there are additional legal steps that are involved to authenticate the will, that could make things more costly and time-consuming for your children. If you are not interested in speaking with an estate planning attorney, which would be contrary to my advice, you should instead execute a California statutory will. I have provided the link for you, below. Please ensure that you comply with the instructions.

    This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you CAN, but if you care at all whether your wishes and preferences are actually carried out and enforced you will want to be more careful. Lawyers provide much more than pieces of paper. For starters, they apply their knowledge to insure that your papers clearly say what you want an in the right form. Then, and this is particularly important for estate documents, the attorney presides over a "signing ceremony" that involves witnesses and a Notary. Why? Because you won't be around to explain anything or address challenges to the will. Witnesses, attorneys and notaries add important layers of confirmation that the will expresses your real intentions, that you were competent, and not under undue influence.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'll also add that planning for your incapacity is important too, and a will doesn't address that, so get yourself powers of attorney for health care and property as well.

    This answer is intended, but not promised or guaranteed, to be correct, complete and up-to-date, and is of a... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with all of the previous answers but will add that a Will does not avoid the probate process. If you have assets other than real property that amount to 150,000 or more, you should be doing a trust. Also if you have an real property you should be doing a trust as well.

  5. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition a trust does more than distribute your assets on death. It is a way to take care of your life, and have someone to pay your bills and take care of you while you are living. You should discuss all of the estate planning issues with an attorney.

Related Topics


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Family trust

A family trust is set up to benefit a family, usually naming all family members as beneficiaries, although the trustee(s) can limit how/when they may benefit.

Theodore W. Robinson

Why Do I Need a Will? Part 2

Another reason its a good idea to have a Will is because without it, nobody will know what is expected of them regarding your Estate. Who do you want to oversee everything? Who do you think... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,103 answers this week

3,678 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,103 answers this week

3,678 attorneys answering