I divorced and my ex has signed Quit Claim Deed to me. I'm considering to pay off the house, how do I verify the title is clean?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

We did buy owner title policy at closing, but how do I know if there's any lien attached to the house during the time period from house closing till our divorce? Can any of my ex's creditors put liens unto house in that specific period?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Michael Lawler

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Pay an attorney or title examiner to perform a title exam. This is quick, and should cost $100 - $150. I can do this for you tomorrow. Call me with questions in the morning.

    I have done or overseen thousands of title exams. I can help.

    If you have further questions, call me at 770-904-5115. The information and opinion rendered herein is done as a... more
  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire someone to perform a title examination.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more
  3. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Contact a local title company and have them prepare an abstract of title with judgment and lien searches.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,035 answers this week

2,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,035 answers this week

2,799 attorneys answering