I divorced and my ex has signed Quit Claim Deed to me. I'm considering to pay off the house, how do I verify the title is clean?

Lawrenceville, GA |

We did buy owner title policy at closing, but how do I know if there's any lien attached to the house during the time period from house closing till our divorce? Can any of my ex's creditors put liens unto house in that specific period?

Pay an attorney or title examiner to perform a title exam. This is quick, and should cost $100 - $150. I can do this for you tomorrow. Call me with questions in the morning.

I have done or overseen thousands of title exams. I can help.

If you have further questions, call me at 770-904-5115. The information and opinion rendered herein is done as a courtesy and is for general informational purposes. Nothing herein may be construed by any party as to give rise to an attorney-client relationship.

Hire someone to perform a title examination.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Contact a local title company and have them prepare an abstract of title with judgment and lien searches.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Recommended articles about Divorce