I divorced 02/05/2013, no attorney, she was awarded alimony of $800.00 a month. She works and has always worked.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

This $ 800 . 00 a month is going to ruin me , my bills total are what I make . She works , she left me for another man , living with him , but she gets my money . She showed a 2 from last year and she hardly worked because she got fired and was collecting unemployment . How do I appeal this decision ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Charles McGinn


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I do not know your financial situation but unfortunately those are some of the perils of trying to represent yourself. You need to contact an attorney that handles family law appeals ASAP. You have a limited amount of time to file an appeal. You should be aware the Court has broad discretion on whether or not to award alimony and how much alimony is awarded. I wish you the best of luck.

  2. Sandy Todd Fox


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You should immediately consult with an appellate attorney in order to determine if a motion for rehearing should and can be filed and to guide you through this process. In the lower tribunal, you will need to file an original and one copy of a notice of appeal, attach a copy of the final judgment of dissolution of marriage and provide the necessary fees for the clerk of court in the lower tribunal and clerk of court in the appellate court. The filing of a notice of appeal is jurisdictional and must be filed within 30 days of the entry of the final judgment of dissolution of marriage or you may be precluded from appealing the decision.

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,227 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,227 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering