I die. I have three grown children, Do we need a will drawn up to protect husband from children claiming my share of house?

Asked 3 months ago - Laplace, LA

Can husband live in house, without children trying to make him sell?

1. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . If the husband is not the father of the three children they you need a will. If he is the father of the 3 children and you bought the house together then he has a community interest in the house and will also have a usufruct over the half inherited by the children. In that case you do not need a will as his ownership interest and usufruct will protect him. Otherwise you need a will.

2. Charles P. Ward

Pro

Answered . Need more information but he can have a life estate in the house until he dies--consult with an attorney to discuss all options--good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  3. Ivette M Santaella

Answered . Hello,

It would be a good idea to have a Will drafted to minimize conflict and have a clear record of your intentions as to distribution of your assets.

To clarify, the house is in your name only? If yes, then a Will bequeathing your husband a life estate with remainder to your children would achieve your goals.

It is recommended that you consult with local estate planning counsel.

4. Michael Leo Potter

Answered . Have your Will drafted to make your intentions clear. If you are BOTH owners on title of the house, the survivor typically owns the house 100% But if you are owners (each as to half - also known as tenants in common) then each of you can dispose of your half as you see fit. Sit down with an Estate Planning attorney. See 'Find-A-Lawyer' at the top of this page.