I didn't sign a lease, if I move out am I obligated to pay?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

I moved in an apartment with a roommate via Craigslist. She signed the lease, I did not. I signed a rider agreement form stating I wouldn't trash the apartment and that we would pay rent in one payment. It didn't say what the consequences were if I were to leave early, or any consequences. It didn't even say anything about if we didn't pay. Since what I signed didn't state any consequences, what am I liable for?

I'm paying rent to my roommate, who pays the landlord. There is no roommate contract signed, or any verbal contract. My roommate just told me the amount and I, on my own pay her before the 1st. She didn't state any consequences if I didn't pay. I've only been living here for 3 months, do I have to give 30 days notice?

In this post you state that you have no verbal contract--then you write that your roommate told you what and when to pay, you agreed to it, and took the room--guess what your agreement and acceptance of the room made that a valid oral contract! You do have a contract!

Best option is to negotiate with the roommates--find a person to replace you--they will not go after you if you take steps to keep the cash flowing--in the end, that's all roommates really want. Best of luck

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

BTW, yest you must give notice.

Landlord-tenant topics