Skip to main content

I did work for a man, he didn't pay, I took him to Small Claims Court for $900 and the judge awarded me $600. This man appealed

Indianapolis, IN |

I did work for a man, he didn't pay, I took him to Small Claims Court for $900 and the judge awarded me $600. This man appealed, it is now going to Civil Court downtown and I'm told I have to be represented by a lawyer. 1. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer and 2. I was told that a pro-bono lawyer probably wouldn't take it for such a small amount. Did this guy just win by appealing the case???

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    There is no rule preventing you from representing yourself, but it is always better to have an attorney when you are downtown. It's a relatively small amount, but it sounds like the case is pretty straightforward. The case could be handled on a contingency basis. That is, the lawyerbisnt paid unless you're paid.

    This answer is intended to provide you with general information and is not legal advice upon which you should rely. Do not think that this post establishes an attorney-client relationship between us.

  2. No one can predict the "odds" without more facts. I HIGHLY encourage you to Use the "Find a Lawyer" link above

  3. If you sued as a business, then the rules require that you have a lawyer. If you sued in your personal capacity, then you don't need a lawyer to proceed.

    Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

  4. He might be playing that game and taking his chances. Marion County is the odd county in Indiana that does it that way. If you appeal, you then go into state court. In other counties, you actually have to appeal to the appellate court and it is much more expensive to appeal that way. Do you have good documentation on your case? If you do, I agree with my colleagues, perhaps there might be a fraud claim involved, and you can ask for treble (three times) your damages and increase the final amount in your prayer for relief and also request attorney's fees. (There are some exceptions to this and it will depend upon how things were filed, but I am talking in theory). If you believe it is a "frivolous" appeal, you can also make this same request for attorney's fees. Also, your $600 was probably reduced to a judgment, so depending upon how the order is written, you could (and should) be collecting interest at 8% per annum from the entry date of the order. I agree with my colleagues--you can represent yourself in your individual capacity, but if you sued in your LLC (or however your business is set up), you need to have a lawyer represent you. Keep in mind, if he is a business, he will also have to pay a lawyer and he will end up paying the lawyer more money than if he just paid you--so he might just be trying to see how far he can push it. He has to also pay a transfer fee, etc., so I wouldn't back down if I were you. (And even if he is not a business, state court is a bit more complicated than small claims court and we do not suggest navigating it without a lawyer.) If you were in the right, and you have documentation and evidence to back it up ~ fight for your rights. As a little tip, make sure that you have potential clients sign contracts, and in the event of a dispute, non-payment, or otherwise, if it needs to go to court, the will have to pay attorney's fees ~ then if you have a strong case, and attorney will for sure take it in the future. Best wishes to you!

    No attorney client relationship has been established by this response. This information is based only on the facts and details provided in the question and is more of a general explanation or citation to the applicable law, or portions of the applicable law concerning your case. You should still contact a lawyer to review your case in detail, as well as any and all legal documents in your case, and to obtain specific advice based on your situation. You should not post private information in your question. I am only licensed to practice in Indiana and any information I post that involves another state should not be construed as practicing law in that state. Please be advised that if you would like to formally retain me, or our law firm, you must sign a formal retention agreement and adhere to the terms of representation in order for an attorney/client relationship to be formed between us. Please be sure to rate the best answer, or mark your answer as helpful, if you believe the information posted was helpful to you.