I did not sign my final divorce decree, will the judge finalize it without my signature?

Brazoria, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

My ex and I had a mediated settlement agreement back in June 2011. We have 4 children, the 3 oldest are on a weeek to week visitation, the youngest, I am the primary parent and he is supposed to visit but he does not. He was supposed to start paying child support for the youngest but he has not/ He also does not take our oldest daughter so now that leaves me with 2 kids 100% of the time and the other 2 50% of the time, and no child support. I did not sign my divorce decree because he did not take the children as outlined in our agreement. This is why I did not sign the final decree. Will the judge finalize it anyway without my signature?

Have you checked with the clerk of the Court where your divorce was filed to see if a final decree was entered? Also, if you filed in Brazoria County you can look up your case online to see what has been done on your case. If your ex is not complying with the settlement agreement and it is an enforceable agreement then you can probably file a motion to enforce. As for the Judge signing the final decree without your signature it is possible that he could but you should have received notice of a final hearing date. If you missed a court date then it is possible the Judge signed the decree. The online search should help you determine a summary of what has happened in your case.

Cheryl A. Wulf
Cheryl Wulf and Associates
305 S Broadway Ave Ste 403
Tyler, Texas 75702
(903) 525-9869
www.wulf-law.com

www.wulf-law.com

I am sorry that you are going through this. It wiill be difficult but not impossibility for the court to finalize this without your signature. I strongly suggest that you get back involved and make your concerns known. If you disregard the court and the corut dates, eventually you will be divorced on terms that may not be appropriate or favorable to you. Each state has local rules on this and most clerks or local attorney's can quickly answer this question, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.