I did not say the exact day that happen , i said it was yesterday when it was 3 days ago in the police report

Bronx, NY |

does this mean . . mi in trouble for not saying when it happen ? a friend i met to week's ago snatch my chain of my neck . . . he left marks in my neck . . . i report it 4 day's later . . . . giving him a chance to bring back my gold chain . . . just did not want to bring this case to police or court . . . . i told police it happen yesterday . . but it really happen 3 day's ago . . . can i get in trouble for saying it was yesterday . . . the report was written by the district attorney again and she put it happen 3 day's ago . . . . please advice me what is going to happen with my case ?

1. If you made a mistake on the date, correct it with the police or the DA.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

2. Making a mistake on date or time is not really a terrible thing. Many witnesses are distressed and confused. It could become a more problematic thing if you don't correct your error with the police or even the District Attorney as soon as possible. The wrong date can certainly mess up an investigation.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632. www.nyccriminallawyer.com

3. All things considered, you had best correct the falsehood you stated. You no doubt signed a penal law affirmation which makes false statement liable as a misdemeanor. It is unclear if you simply put in a "wrong" date or if you used the word "yesterday" or something that is less likely to be regarded as a typo. The prosecutor (if not the police) mahy consider this as compromising the case sufficiently as to decide not to prosecute. However, if they prosecute and the defendant has an alibi for that date, for example, then you are guaranteed to get into serious trouble.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

4. If you got the date wrong on the supporting deposition you should call the prosecutor and explain it to her. If you lied for some reason you could be charged with making a false complaint so you would need to retain an attorney to explain it to the prosecutor. If you made up the story to get even with someone you could get a year in jail and you should also retain an attorney. You would not get in trouble for a minor error such as the exact date, but how could you say "yesterday" when it was three days earlier? That does not sound like a "mistake," it sounds like a miscommunication due to a language problem or an error in your ability to communicate properly, but people certainly know the difference between yesterday and three days ago. Please choose "best answer" if this helped you.