I did not list my arrest on my job application. Now I have an interview. Should I confess or is it too late?

Fort Worth, TX |

I was arrested for a theft in 1999. I applied for a job with AISD. The first application submission, I was forthcoming, but I thought since my conviction was deferred, I deleted it. The next day, I was called. I did a background check and realized that my conviction was not deferred. Should I say something in my interview or is it too late? I am a teacher with a M.Ed, married with children. I am not that stupid 19 year old anymore. Please help. My interview is Tuesday.

1. If you can submit something prior to your interview that explains why you were confused, then this is probably a good way to handle this situation.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

2. You'd want to refer this to an employment attorney, not immigration.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. You must reveal your conviction at your interview.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.