I deposited a $7,000.00 check that might be fraudulent, I've only spent $1,500.00 will the bank bring legal action?...

Arcadia, CA |

I had no idea the the check was a falsification...Please don't start your solicitation routines and answer the question clearly, minus the legalese...

Best case scenario you will be responsible for the funds spent, so stop spending. Next, you should call an attorney to discuss what the reasons are that you believe it is a fraudulent check. Within a few days, your bank will figure it out if it is and then they will demand reimbursement. If you wrote the check, they could contact law enforcement, but if you handle the financial aspect with the bank, they often don't care about contacting law enforcement.

Probably, unless you work something out with them. You need to report the false check to the police and your bank as soon as possible.
And you might try and be a little more gracious when asking for free advice from attorneys, instead of making demands on how they answer your question.

1. Stop spending the money and figure out if the check is legitimate.

2. If illegitimate the bank will likely demand you pay them back for what was deposited, including the $1500.

3. You may have claims against the person that wrote you the false check. So you might want to look into that or speak with an attorney about it.

4. You really should be a bit more polite when asking for free professional advice. Although you might not have intended it, your post comes off as incredibly rude and ungrateful.

Good luck to you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Most of the times this is a scheme that includes checks for buying item from the web.
They look absolutely legitimate. Even banks can be fooled. Then they give an advance towards the check in your account and you have an overdraft since the check is a counterfeit.
Some smart crooks even sell those checks or create the perfect story to sell them to u.
Well is not easy to say that you can have more than overdraft in your plate.

You need to be very very careful . Many fraud schemes come from "counterfeit checks"and many fraud Alerts are out there. As a California Attorney and one of the very few that are Fraud Examiners ( CFE member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners ) i receive every day alerts about new scams. (I investigate fraud cases, as an economist, for 32 years). You describe in your question one of those schemes. , and

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.