Skip to main content

I'd like to set up a special needs trust for an SSI recipient in CA and grant him a life estate. What's the first step?

San Mateo, CA |

The life estate would be in one of my properties.

Attorney Answers 3


Get a CA lawyer. This is a fast developing area.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I am a California attorney near you. The first step is to contact an attorney like me who does special needs trusts. The rules are fairly precise as to what you can or cannot do and the cost of doing it wrong is high. Contact me or an attorney in San Mateo soon.

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up or vote it best answer! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


The first step is to hire an estate planning attorney, seriously. Special needs trusts are complex and there are many ways someone who's not familiar with them can draft them incorrectly.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics