I'd like to get foid card but i had a domestic violence conviction about 12 years ago. can i still get a foid card?

Peru, IL |

after my conviction i was ordered to take classes which i did and completed them. i haven't had any trouble with the law since then.

1. You will have a very difficult time getting a FOID card with a domestic violence conviction. Perhaps you could hire an attorney to attempt an appeals process but your chances are slim. Sorry.

2. This is from the Illinois FOID card FAQ: "According to Federal and State laws, anyone who has been convicted of domestic battery/ domestic violence is ineligible to possess a FOID card. This prohibition also applies to police officers and those in the military. Contact the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980 for further information."

See link below.

3. You cannot get an FOID card.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Domestic violence topics