I cut down 3 of my neighbor's trees by accident, can he press criminal charges or a civil suit?

Alexandria, VA |

I cut down 3 trees thinking they were mine because it was outside of his newly built fence. What criminal charges can I face ? What can he suit me for? I tried settling out of court, but he's asking for an arbitrary amount he came up with and will not provide details. If I do not agree, he's going to press charges and a civil suit for 3 times the settlement plus legal fees. Is what he said legally possible or is he being a bully?

Bully, big time.

Civil suit.

Get a property Attorney.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.