Skip to main content

I currently signed a two year lease about 4 months ago, i was living their with my girlfriend and daughter. We got into a fight.

Brooklyn, NY |

I moved out of apartment , girlfriend is still paying rent to landlord , i want my name off the lease , landlord will take me off lease if the apartment is empty , ex girlfriend does not want to leave because landlord is still accepting rent from her . landlord does not want to give her lease because she does not qualify . What can i do ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Duplicate post.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  2. Dear what can I do?

    Without the cooperation of your daughter's mother and the landlord you remain the tenant. You do not want to be responsible for making your child homeless and by this lease, you are providing a home as long as the lease is in effect and the rent is paid.

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

  3. I don't believe there is much you can do but convince your girlfriend to move. Or make sure she is paying the rent. You do want to keep a roof over your daughters head so you may have to just deal with this.

  4. This is something that should be addressed to get you the best result possible. I think you should meet with an attorney in person.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics