I currently paying child support for my 19 year old going to be 20 soon just found she is pregnant due any day can I emicipate

Asked over 1 year ago - Somerville, NJ

Not going through probation, college student, she apply and is receiving government benefits for the baby, Somerset county family court. She is on process of get child support. For baby .

1. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

Answered . Emancipation generally means the child is self-reliant and can support herself through work. Because the government is going to begin taking over does not automatically mean you are no longer responsible for supporting your daughter. Your matter is complex and I recommend sitting down with an experienced family lawyer.

See the attached link, which discusses emancipation further:
    http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/children-pare...

2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . If your daughter will be returning to school full time, she may not be emancipated, or she may be emancipated now and can seek a return to her prior status later on.

3. John Thomas Doyle

Answered . If she is not in school you may be able to get her emancipated..

4. Marc J Poles

Pro

Answered . You need to look at your property settlement agreement under the emancipation section. Usually if your daughter got married or is not continuing her education you could seek to emancipate her. New Jersey is in a minority of the states where a certain age does not automatically emancipate the child. However, if she is planning on taking any maternity leave from her schooling you may seek to emancipate her, but she may be unemancipated down the line if she goes back to school.

One or more answers have been taken down.