Skip to main content

I currently paying child support for my 19 year old going to be 20 soon just found she is pregnant due any day can I emicipate

Somerville, NJ |

Not going through probation, college student, she apply and is receiving government benefits for the baby, Somerset county family court. She is on process of get child support. For baby .

Attorney Answers 4


Emancipation generally means the child is self-reliant and can support herself through work. Because the government is going to begin taking over does not automatically mean you are no longer responsible for supporting your daughter. Your matter is complex and I recommend sitting down with an experienced family lawyer.

See the attached link, which discusses emancipation further:

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful


If your daughter will be returning to school full time, she may not be emancipated, or she may be emancipated now and can seek a return to her prior status later on.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Mark as helpful


If she is not in school you may be able to get her emancipated..

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Mark as helpful


You need to look at your property settlement agreement under the emancipation section. Usually if your daughter got married or is not continuing her education you could seek to emancipate her. New Jersey is in a minority of the states where a certain age does not automatically emancipate the child. However, if she is planning on taking any maternity leave from her schooling you may seek to emancipate her, but she may be unemancipated down the line if she goes back to school.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics