I currently own half of a 2 story home divided in to 2 apartments. My Aunt who owns the other half refuses to pay her share

Asked over 1 year ago - Danbury, CT

Of the Taxes, Insurance and other Bills. What can I do to try and recoup my half of the taxes, etc. Can I take her to small claims court?
Also, what happens if the taxes don't get paid in full, will the City put a Tax Lien on the house and eventually repossess it?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Millar's answer is right on-point. Please consult with a real estate/litigation attorney to determine the best options in your circumstances. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . How is the property deeded?

    Are you both on one deed as tenants in common?

    If property taxes are left unpaid, the home could eventually be subject to a tax sale or foreclosure.

    Assuming that you are tenants in common, then you both have a duty to contribute to the carrying costs of the property.

    You may have a few options. You could likely sue your aunt for the unpaid share of the expenses or seek a partition in which the court would order the sale of the building and you could then buy out her interest.

    You should consult with a local real estate litigation attorney.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,024 answers this week

2,884 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,024 answers this week

2,884 attorneys answering