I currently own half of a 2 story home divided in to 2 apartments. My Aunt who owns the other half refuses to pay her share

Asked over 1 year ago - Danbury, CT

Of the Taxes, Insurance and other Bills. What can I do to try and recoup my half of the taxes, etc. Can I take her to small claims court?
Also, what happens if the taxes don't get paid in full, will the City put a Tax Lien on the house and eventually repossess it?

1. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

Answered . Attorney Millar's answer is right on-point. Please consult with a real estate/litigation attorney to determine the best options in your circumstances. Good luck to you.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

3

1

Answered . How is the property deeded?

Are you both on one deed as tenants in common?

If property taxes are left unpaid, the home could eventually be subject to a tax sale or foreclosure.

Assuming that you are tenants in common, then you both have a duty to contribute to the carrying costs of the property.

You may have a few options. You could likely sue your aunt for the unpaid share of the expenses or seek a partition in which the court would order the sale of the building and you could then buy out her interest.

You should consult with a local real estate litigation attorney.