Skip to main content

I currently live in Mn I have full legal and physical custody of my children their father is in prison until the year 2015 and

Minneota, MN |

visitation is reserved for once he is released he has to petition the courts. The only thing in my court order about a move is that I have to give a ten day written notice of my new address and vice versa. My question is can I move out of Mn state to South Dakota it is just about two hours away from where I am at now?

Without the father's permission and not having to petition the courts?

Attorney Answers 1


Technically, if he doesn't have visitation, you should be able to just follow the order's requirements. I'm not sure honestly how the reservation may change this. It would likely require a close review of the order and relevant case law as I'm not familiar with a Minnesota statute that speaks directly to this situation.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics