I currently have an injury case with my lawyer against mcdonalds.Does it affect me if I just drop the case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Indio, CA

I havent gone to court I am attending therapy and seeing doctors to check my injury.My partner is pregnant my baby is almost due.I Need to start working disability only give me $650.00 a month and that doesnt cut it.Can I just drop the case so that I can provide for my family?or will I get charged for everything and get in trouble with the law?

1. Malosack Berjis

14

1

Answered . You are not going to get in trouble with the law if you decide not to pursue your claim. However, there is always the chance of being held responsible for any medical/hospital/etc. charges that you have incurred. You really should sit down and talk to your attorney before making any brash decisions. Best of luck to you and congrats on the baby!

2. Constantine D. Buzunis

14

1

Answered . You can drop your civil case anytime by filing a request for dismissal, but you may owe your lawyer for their work and any costs advanced on your behalf. In addition, if you have filed and served your lawsuit against McDonald's and you just dismiss it without their agreement to waive costs, they will be deemed the prevailing party and can file a costs memo for the recoverable costs under Code of Civil Procedure Sections 1032 & 1033.5. Talk to your attorney before you take any steps on your case.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

13

1

Answered . You can drop the case. Depending on your contact you might have to pay fees. You should have a candid discussion with your attorney before you make this decision. Best of luck.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

12

1

Answered . Just because you go back to work doesnt mean you have no case. I assume this is a workers comp case? You still may have a permanent disability worth something. If it is a Personal injury case, going back to work doesnt mean you have to drop your case. Talk to your atty.

Pro

14

Answered . Call your attorney to discuss any fees you may be responsible for, or check your fee agreement.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

8

1

Answered . There would be no legal ramifications for dropping a case. Whether there might be costs, while possible, should be unlikely. Schedule a meeting with your attorney. Hopefully, there is something he/she can do for you rather than simply walk away. Good luck with the incoming.

7. Patrick John Phillips

6

Answered . If you have filed a complaint and the defense has submitted an answer, you will typically need to get the defendant to sign a voluntary dismissal, which will operate to waive any claim they may have to recoup their costs. Otherwise, you may potentially be liable for their costs.