I currently get SSI and am 60. When I turn 62, will I be able to collect my social security benefits AND SSI at the same time?

Ocean City, MD |

I have been getting S.S.I. for past yr and a half as it was approved before a judge. I am very interested in knowing if I will be able to "continue" my S.S.I. when I start to collect my Social Security benefits at age 62 or even later. Can you collect both at the same time?

SSI is a means-tested program. The Social Security you receive will reduce the amount you receive in SSI each month. Social Security is budgeted as unearned income. Unearned income -- except for the first $20, which is disregarded -- is budgeted dollar-for-dollar against the SSI grant. If you were receiving $674 in SSI and began receiving $500 in Social Security, your SSI would be reduced to $194 a month ($674-$480); your monthly income would increase by $20. If you were receiving $674 in SSI and began receiving $700 in Social Security, you would no longer receive any SSI ($674-$680).