I cosigned for a car loan with my girlfriend. Does that mean that we're common law married?

Austin, TX |

We don't live together 'nor do we publicly state that we are married.

1. What you have explained does not meet the legal requirements for a 'common law' marriage.

This information is being provided as a general response to your posted question. By providing this response our office is not creating or entering into a lawyer-client relationship with you or anyone who may review this response. In order to enter into a lawyer-client relationship an initial consultation is required.

2. This probably does not make you married. If you are concerned about it, you might want to consider having a lawyer draft a Cohabitation Agreement that sets out both of your property rights and that you do not agree to be married.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

3. Not by itself. If you want to make sure you do not "accidentally" get married, talk to a lawyer about how to avoid that result.

4. To be common law married, you have to agree to be married and hold yourself out to others as married.

5. No; simply cosigning a document with another person does not create a common law marriage.