I confronted my mom’s neighbor standing in the “common area” behind our town home taking photos of my 2 year olds bedroom window

Santa Cruz, CA |

She claimed she was photographing a “garden stone” below the window for “research” . I won’t bore you with the details of the dispute, it’s just another issue they created out of thin air to bully my mom. I walked out of the house holding a broom (I was sweeping) and she proceeded to stick the cam a few feet from my face snapping pic after pic while yelling at me. I told her to stop, but she wouldn’t. Do her actions violate my privacy or could it be considered harassment? Police officer said, “No, they are just crappy people” & we need to start recording them to build a case or move. My mom can’t afford to - and doesn’t want to stoop to their level. They have been harassing her for 7 years! Now they own 2/3 of 3 unit town home and are using that power to bully her thu the HOA CCR. Help!

1. Most likely, taking pictures from outside is not a violation of your privacy. If the window could be seen from any area that is considered public, then it can be photographed. Once you stepped outside, you were in the common area and she could photograph you. It may be annoying, but it is not a violation of your privacy.
    It is possible that what you call "harassment" could be sufficient to get a restraining order. But you will have to discuss that in person with an attorney.