Skip to main content

I completed prob 36, when can I fill out applications with saying yes to a felony conviction?

Los Angeles, CA |

i was convicted on march 29, 2013 of poss of controlled substance felony and poss of dealy weapon misdemeanor (brass knuckles) they let me thru prob 36 and i completed in august. Ive been clean and have past over a dozen drug test with prob and my po as well as 48 N/A classess torture. My po said hes gonna try see if he can put me on informal probation in 2 months cause ive been doing well just working and staying out of trouble and sober. What extra steps can i do so i can fill out applications ? Im in auto sales working in a less then desirable place beacuse im uninsurable background checks.



+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Once you have completed all the requirements of Prop 36, you will need to remain out of trouble for a total for 18 months from the time of your "sentence" to the program. Assuming you were sentenced immediately on the day of your plea, the 18 month clock would have begun running on March 29th. Then you will go to court and the judge will review your progress. Assuming he's satisfied, your guilty plea will be withdrawn, the charges will be dismissed and you will have a clean record. After that, you may truthfully say that you have never been convicted of a felony. Good luck!


My colleague is correct. You have to wait at least 18 months from the conviction to seek relief from the court to clear this from your record. Get an attorney.



My colleague is right. You must wait at least 18 months from date you entered the Prop. 36 plea before petitioning to the court for a dismissal of the charges. I would further add, to continue doing a great job with probation because you will need the Probation Officer to write a positive review/recommendation for dismissal to the judge. Congratulation for Staying Sober!

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer