I committed adultery in georgia , what is my possible punishment?

Warner Robins, GA |

I am a stay home mom been taking care of my children since my husband active in military . He is now retired

1. I don't think there have been any criminal prosecutions in many years. The main consequence might be him filing for divorce.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. As Mr. Ashman said, your husband may file for a fault-based divorce based on your conduct. Assuming he pleads and proves your adultery, you would likely be barred from receiving any alimony from him in or after the divorce. You should seek counsel if you or your husband decide to file for divorce.

3. Criminally, it's still a misdemeanor, but I wouldn't be real concerned about being charged with it. From a divorce perspective, in certain circumstances, it can bar alimony. Additional facts would be necessary I know if it would.

4. This is probably not something you should be admitting to in an open forum. Hopefully, your husband (or his attorney) will not recognize you from this post.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.