I committed a sex offense in Michigan in 1999, and was sentenced under Megans law.I did ...

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

... 10 years and want to get on with my life.I want to move to Ohio now.Will I be reclassified under Megans law or the AWA? If I am reclassified under Megans law or the AWA what level or how much time will I have to register for?
I am not on any kind of court supervision.This was my only crime. It was 1st degree rape. I know it's terrible but I did do my time.
Or is there something I'm not seeing that says I might not have to even register?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian Glen Jones

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Under Ohio law you must comply with the requirements of Megan's Law. Any time you spent incarcerated will not count towards the ten year time period for which you must register.

    Be sure to notify your current county of residence sheriff that you are moving and notify the county sheriff of the county to which you are moving no less than seven days after your arrival in that county.

    Be aware than law enforcement officers are not lawyers. They may try to force your compliance with the Adam Walsh Act. You should speak with an attorney well versed in Ohio sexual assault law to pave the way for your relocation. A skilled attorney can educate police and prosecutors thereby avoiding an erroneous indictment and the legal troubles accompanying such a charge.

    ***Vigorous Criminal Defense in Central Ohio***

    ***False Allegations of Sexual Abuse?***

    ***Dealing with Police at a Traffic Stop***

    ***Criminal Law Resources***

    Twitter: @TLOBJ

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Office-o...


    Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back to the original poster. Be careful what you share on this or any other website.

    I am a criminal defense attorney based in Central Ohio with offices in Delaware and Marion, Ohio. The laws of other states differ from Ohio's laws. I am not permitted to practice in other states without first obtaining special permission. Nothing on this or any other website creates an attorney-client relationship.

    If something I say differs from that of your current attorney, you should rely on the advice of your attorney. Your attorney knows the unique facts of your case including the court and other attorneys involved. If you doubt your attorney for some reason and wish to seek other counsel, you should do so in person, not over the internet. The internet is often a good place to gather information, but should not be considered a substitute for legal counsel.

    The information offered in my posts is for educational purposes only.

    ***Vigorous Criminal Defense in Central Ohio*** www.TheLawOfficeofBrianJones.com ***False Allegations of Sexual... more
  2. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have raised a very difficult question. There are many details that are necessary to review in order to determine if you still have to register and if so what level. One major piece of information to review would be your original sentencing and classification entry. Adam Walsh attempted to reclassify all Megan's law registrants. However, the Ohio Supreme Court in Bodyke found that the reclassification violated the serperation of powers and was therefore not constitutional. Now the question would be how does this apply to you since your conviction was from out of state of Ohio. I think the argument would still be made that a court determined your registration and therefore the reclassification still violates seperation of powers. I would highly suggest that you contact an attorney in the area you plan on moving and maybe even one in the area you currently live who can review everything and make sure that the sheriff in both counties are on the same page. Good luck.

    Dayton, Ohio Criminal Defense Attorney

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more
  3. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no confidentiality online. You should consult an experienced local attorney. If you cannot find a local attorney on Avvo, a good place to look is the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8wtv (https://www.nacdl.org/impak/cms/members_online/...) NACDL Local affiliates: http://tinyurl.com/8akw2gd

    Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,340 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,340 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering