I committed a felony when I was a juvenile and am trying to get a security guard position/ license. Will my Felony prevent this?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Titusville, FL

I was 12 years old and broke into a school after a hurricane totaled it. Regardless of hurricane damages and only being there once (after finding out my friends were there more than once..) I was still equally charged for a few minor crimes as well as pricy court fees and restitution fees. I have 2 jobs now that for sure do not hire felons. However the Navy turned me down. they do a DOD background check. So does that mean my record is sealed since my jobs do not know? I know it is not expunged. How do I check to find out if it is sealed? Will I have to pay off court fees and restitution fees before it can be sealed? I finished Parol early as well as my school placement. I have no criminal history since not even a parking ticket and graduated with straight A's. Thoughts?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that it's possible that some agencies will know about your juvenile history and others will not. The Florida Statutes on expunction only allow certain agencies information on whether something was removed from a record and also whether something is sealed on it. If you have no other adjudicated history and you weren't adjudicated delinquent on the offense you're speaking of, you may be eligible to seal. Without more information, no one can tell you. You should look to hire an attorney to review it for you if you think it's causing you problems.

  2. 9

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There are various degrees of background checks. The military has the opportunity to dig deep. Juvenile records are not available on all checks. Your best solution right now is to hire an attorney in your state who is familiar with criminal charges and background records to help you do as much as possible to protect your background information.

  3. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether an employer chooses to hire you is up to the employer. This is not really a criminal law question.
    Since you were a juvenile when this occured and if you have never been convicted of any other charge since the employer should not hold this against you.

  4. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Lots of thoughts. Look at the answers from my colleagues.

  5. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If it has been over ten years since you finished your sentence, and you have no other arrests, you MAY be eligible to seal. You should speak with an attorney in person

  6. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will not prevent you from getting a license. It could prevent you from getting a job.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,766 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,766 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering