I come US as marriage VISA from my spouse 9 months ago and plan to file a divorce. I still want to work in US. What will happen?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fayetteville, AR

What are the application form or VISA should i apply after i lost my marriage status in order for me to continue stay in US to work?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have you been granted conditional permanent residence (a 2-year green card)?

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . if you came on a K1, you can pack and go home now. There is nothing that can be done really unless in some very limited circumstances. If you want to know whether you circumstances fall in this category, have a sit down with an immigration attorney and find out.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Lawrence Orta

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . I agree with the other responses. An immigration attorney would need more information about your case. Under what type of visa did you enter? Are you now a Conditional Permanent Resident? These answers would help an attorney in assessing you options. Good luck.!

  4. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It depends on you current status. Do you have a green card? Is it a two year card or ten year card? Please clarify.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,809 answers this week

2,703 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,809 answers this week

2,703 attorneys answering