Skip to main content

I co signed on a car for my son. The vehicle was hit while parked. Can I sue the person who caused the damage?

Palm Springs, CA |

There was a police report made that says that a person purposely hit the vehicle that I co-signed for while it was parked. My son has since refused to pay the payments for the vehicle. I took possession of the vehicle, however, the damage is so severe that it can not be driven or sold. I believe my son did not have the vehicle insured at the time of the collision. Can I sue the person who crashed into the vehicle and caused the damage in order to repair the vehicle since I am now stuck paying for this vehicle?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Anyone named on the title of the car may sue for property damages to it.


Yes, if you are also on title.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


You apparently need to have a very serious conversation with your son. He should not be sticking you with this problem. If you are an owner of the vehicle, you can bring suit against the adverse party. Otherwise, you should encourage your son, assuming he is the owner, to file the appropriate court action.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer