I co signed for my husbands motorcycle. He now says he wants a divorce.

Budd Lake, NJ |

If we do get a divorce what will some of the options be to removed me from the loan?

Refinancing. Period.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

You must ask to be refinanced off the loan or the loan company will look to you to pay the debt even if it is assigned to him in the final paperwork.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us at 858-720-8250 or by email at myra@fleischerlawoffice.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship unless we are retained.

If your husband won't (or can't) refinance the loan in his own name, you need to insist that the motorcycle be sold.

I strongly recommend that you meet as soon as possible with a very experienced lawyer who (like me) devotes his/her ENTIRE practice to New Jersey Divorce and Family Law matters, go over your situation in detail, get educated answers to your questions, and obtain expert guidance as to the best course of action. In my opinion, it will be well worth the cost of the meeting.

For more information about divorce in New Jersey, you can go to the website www.nj-divorce.net.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Marriage and prenups topics