I co-signed for a car for my son and it got repossessed in 2011, we just got served. What can we do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chandler, AZ

I co-signed for a car for my son that was repossessed in 2011. My son lives in Co and was served and I live in Az. I have not seen the papers at this time, but was wondering what we can do. My son has no way to get to Az he does not have any money. He is willing to have his wages garnished to protect me since the car was for him. What can he do?

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . If you co-signed the loan, there is no way to avoid being sued for the debt unless you negotiate some sort of settlement with the creditor.

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

Answered . You have an attorney contact the creditor and see if they will accept the garnishment in lieu of proceeding with the action. Don't count on it.