Skip to main content

I co-signed for a car for my son and it got repossessed in 2011, we just got served. What can we do?

Chandler, AZ |

I co-signed for a car for my son that was repossessed in 2011. My son lives in Co and was served and I live in Az. I have not seen the papers at this time, but was wondering what we can do. My son has no way to get to Az he does not have any money. He is willing to have his wages garnished to protect me since the car was for him. What can he do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you co-signed the loan, there is no way to avoid being sued for the debt unless you negotiate some sort of settlement with the creditor.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


You have an attorney contact the creditor and see if they will accept the garnishment in lieu of proceeding with the action. Don't count on it.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer