I cashed a check that I later learned was stolen and forged. My account is now frozen and the bank is demanding I pay.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cedar City, UT

I cashed a check at Wells Fargo, drawn on a Wells account. Later that day, Wells called me and claimed a warrant had issued for my arrest because they said I stole and forged the check. Wells told me "the charges would be dropped" if I brought in money to cover the check that day. I called the police. I talked to the account holder who said she pressed charges only against the person she knew stole and forged the check. (He was arrested the same day). The investigating police officer told me that Wells would not cooperate in the police investigation without a subpoena and they have frozen all debits on my account without giving me any notice. Four days later, I have received no response from Wells Fargo to my emails other than "someone from the fraud department will contact you".

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Randall B. Bateman

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . You should get a copy of the police report and take it into the bank. That should unfreeze your account. However, you will probably have to reimburse the bank for the fraudulent check. If that does not work, go see an attorney

    This is not legal advice. Even if it were, fee legal advice is worth what you pay for it. The facts of every... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,571 answers this week

2,367 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,571 answers this week

2,367 attorneys answering