I cant pay my trafic ticket what are my options?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Santa Rosa, CA

so i got pulled over for expired tags and no in.then come to find out my dl was suspended.

1. Gerald Blank

Answered . Be very sure to go to court. Don't ignore the situation. If you were driving on a suspended license, that's probably a misdemeanor charge, and you'll be entitled to appointed counsel, such as a public defender. If you can't pay the ticket, most courts, especially nowadays, are very reasonable about setting easy payment schedules. Don't miss a payment. If you can't make a payment, go to court and explain why and get an extension.

2. James Brian Campbell

Answered . This can really snowball. Don't plead to driving on a suspended until you have exhausted all options. It is a two point violation with the DMV and subsequent offenses can result in mandatory jail time. Often this charge can be reduced or dismissed with proof of a license. If you were suspended for failure to pay fine, go to the court where the fine is due and try to make arrangements to pay. Sometimes you can do community service. You should plead not guilty on the driving on a suspended and request the services of the public defender. Best wishes.