I cant afford a lawyer for charges for first offense in petit larceny, what can I do?

Asked 4 months ago - Rochester, NY

I was charged for first offense in petit larceny, Im going to plaid guilty and Im willing to take classes and/or community service, but I cant afford a lawyer what can I do?

1. Zachary Steven Maurer

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Don't plead guilty. Apply for the public defender if you cannot afford an attorney. Virtually every court in Monroe County will offer you a reduction, likely to a dismissal via an ACD on a first offense Petit Larceny. If you plead guilty you will have a criminal record, you don't want to do that. On your arraignment date (your first court appearance) plead not guilty and ask for an adjournment to interview with the Public Defender and to come back on a date when the DA will be there. What town is this in, some are easier to deal with than others. You can walk away from this with little damage if you handle it the right way. You may have to do some community service, but that's about it. Best of luck.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . If you plead guilty you will have a criminal record for life. If you are indigent the court will assign you a public defender.

3. George Peter Conway

1

Answered . I suggest that you plead not g guilty and apply for the services of the public defender. He or she may be able to get the case adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. If you are ordered to take an anti-shop lifting course ask your lawyer if the fee can be waived by the judge.

4. Richard C. Southard

Pro

1

Answered . Pleading guilty may sound like a good idea now; however, you will be back on this forum in a few years when you realize that a criminal conviction cannot be erased or expunged in New York, asking for advice on how to remove this conviction. If you are truly indigent, own no assets, small income, you can ask to have a public defender appointed to represent you. They will try to work out a deal that will not result in a criminal conviction. Good Luck