I cant afford a attorney and the court hasn't given me a defender how can I get counsel to help protect my rights.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

I've been to court for arraignment and I go back in again on Jun 12th and I have no defense counsel and I am being charged with a felony 11377a which is ridiculous because I don't use drugs and passed a work related post accident drug test the week prior to me being arrested because of a accident which someone hit me. then the following week my manager forced me to empty out my locker which was shared with someone who I found out actually does use and ended up getting fired right before all of this because of a failed test. So someone claiming I was acting "strangely" called the police and they took all the papers from my pocket that I removed from my locker, I couldn't see because I was detained but they said that was were they found a folded up piece of paper with drugs in it

To clarify the question is How can I get an attorney to represent me? Who can I contact if I cannot afford an attorney and the court has not appointed me someone?

Call the local public defenders office and ask them. Some courts don't appoint a public defender until after the arraignment. You also might live in a county where a private defense attorney will appointed as a public defender for you. The local office will be able to give you a better answer than we can. All a private defense attorney can tell you is: 1. You aren't going to find lawyers who work for free outside of the public defenders office. 2. The court is legally required to appoint you an attorney if you are charged with a felony, and 3. Good Luck.

Thank you, I'm not really looking for free counsel I'm just looking for someone who can accept payment arraignments. I actually just got a new job officially this morning (I've been waiting on background and drug test to come back) that is way better than my old job. But I appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed answer, and thank you for wishing me luck, I'll need it during my case .

You have not asked any question. The court should appoint a public defender when you go back to court.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

Sorry the question box above only allowed me to enter some information but technically I went into court for arraignment but there is no complaint filed yet even though I was arrested on march 12th so now I have to keep going back to court to see it its been filed yet but no they haven offered me any counsel, How can someone be arrested, thrown in jail for a felony given O.R, then almost 3 months later still not have any charges filed against them?

by the way the question is the title of everything the paragraph is just additional details.......I cant afford a attorney and the court hasn't given me a defender how can I get counsel to help protect my rights.

You state no question.

If you are indigent, the court will appoint counsel for you - that should have happened at arraignment. If you are not indigent, which is likely why counsel was not appointed, you will have to retain your own attorney. Contact the CA and county bar associations for referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

the question is the title can you guys not see it at the top stating "I cant afford a attorney and the court hasn't given me a defender how can I get counsel to help protect my rights."

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

1. That is not a question; it is a declaration. 2. The court appears to have found otherwise. If not, apply for a public defender.

"how can I get counsel to help protect my rights?" I'm not a attorney but the quoted portion sounds like a question to me.

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

"How can I get counsel to help protect my rights?" There are two ways: HIRE a private criminal defense attorney, or appear in court and request court appointed counsel. You will be required to complete a financial declaration. IF the court deems your "indigent" then counsel will be appointed. IF you are not "indigent" you will be told to return to court with a retained attorney. Many attorneys accept payments.

If it's true that you don't take drugs then it will be easy to prove. However, you need to act on it now because testing for drug usage is typically limited to the last six months. In regard to an attorney, many attorneys have payment plsns, including credit cards, monthly payments, etc. Call a few for a free consultation to determine which one best works for you. I wish you the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

IF you appear in court without a private attorney, the court will have you complete a financial disclosure. IF you qualify for court-appointed counsel (public defender), then the judge will appoint an attorney to represent you. Your story is rather "fishy" and quite frankly reeks of methamphetamine. Get into treatment or at least some NA meetings and be sure to appear in court when ordered.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

You are employed, so the court may have a problem with appointing you an attorney. Most courts have income and expense firms to be filled out before a lawyer can appointed.
The court may require you to try to hire a lawyer and then report back in your efforts.
Being not guilty is different than needing a lawyer.

The content on this Web site is intended for informational purposes only. No part of this site is intended to provide legal advice. Nothing on this site is intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The information contained herein does not constitute any type of guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of any specific case. Each case is unique and depends on the specific facts of that case. Never solely rely on the internet to determine your legal actions.

Civil rights topics