I cannot afford an attorney, How can I protest the probate of an estate that has been stripped?

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, AL

My aunt is probating my grandmothers will Jan. 11, 2012. Her attorney notified my niece but not me. Also, when I requested an accounting of the estate from her attorney I was ignored. My aunt has been giving away and selling off, assets of the estate.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can always call your local bar association or you can go it alone. However you typically get what you pay for and regarding estates, there are few low or no cost alternatives - after all you are trying to get money. Most attorneys won't take something like this for no charge or to get paid at the end especially if there is little chance of winning (of you getting any money which you would use to pay the attorney). I can tell you from experience that if you try to represent yourself you will probably just anger a judge who would rather deal with experienced attorneys who know how to present things instead of a pro se individual who is flying by the seat of their pants.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. Lois R Beasley-Carlisle


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Go to the probate court and ask them if you can look at the file. Tell them your relationship with the deceased, and tell them you have not received notices, and If you should be included give them your name, address and phone number. Ask them if you can purchase a copy of the will. If the file has a will in it and you can read it for yourself and see what she left who. Good luck..

    There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is usually to hire an... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I absolutely agree with Attorney Zelinger. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should strongly consider whether you wish to pursue this at all. Your situation is not simple. There are a great many issues raised which could be a problem for your aunt or could be absolutely fine, depending on facts which you have not included. You do not have the legal background to determine whether you have a case or not. You also do not know the process or the way to present or even format your objections.

    Your chances of prevailing without an attorney are extremely low. If you cannot afford an attorney, then you probably cannot afford to challenge this.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,866 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,866 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering